Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Siege of Gondolin 510 FA (War of the Jewels)

The City of Gondolin  

The Final Version of Gondolin



  The Fall Of Gondolin 
FA510  

                                                       
Painting by John Howe
                                                                              
                                                   

"Times were joyful then in Gondolin, but Húrin had—unbeknownst to the people of Gondolin—revealed something of their location when he cried to Turgon in his despair, and Morgoth began to concentrate his thoughts on those mountains where his servants could not go because of the vigil of the Great Eagles. Idril, who was wise and had far sight, felt a shadow of dread then, and in secret, she prepared a way out of the city.
At this time, Maeglin—in defiance of Turgon—went beyond the leaguer of the hills and was taken captive by Orcs. Threatened with torment, he revealed the location of Gondolin to Morgoth, and Morgoth promised him kingship of Gondolin and possession of Idril, should his plots succeed, which made him more willing in his treachery. Maeglin was returned then to Gondolin, and the foreboding upon Idril deepened.
When Eärendil was seven years old, the attack of Morgoth finally came on a morning of festival, when all of the citizens of Gondolin were upon the walls to welcome the rising of the sun. With Balrogs, Orcs, wolves, and dragons, the city was overtaken, and many great deeds of valor were done, but the tower of the King fell and Turgon with it." - J.R.R. Tolkien




I am currently making a game table for the siege of Gondolin or "The Fall Of Gondolin" from JRR Tolkien. It is a bit of a challange to make Gondolin in an Epic size game. The Houses of the Elves did not take to the field, instead they defended the walls of Gondolin. The only forces that were in the Vally would have been the Valley guard, but these engagements would only be small skirmishes, and no match for a massive Orc army, that surrounded the massive city. I have most of the table made, but have decided to fine tune the layout. The drawing above done by Feliche is what I am using as a model to make the city. I am using various other terrain to make the city. The city itself resembles Minas Tirith, but it is a full circle and does not back up to a mountain, but built on top of one.  I am not making the full circle, but showing only one half of the city for gaming purposes, as well as space. It is turning out great, and I am excited to play the game, but first I have to paint up a few Balrogs, and waiting on some Dragons in the mail. I will be posting pics soon.


I will be using these rules to play the game with and make up scenarios.
http://www.fallofgondolin.webs.com/downloadthesupplement.htm


The beginning stages of the game table. The outer wall will be added in.



 





The Second Phase. I have added the lower wall, and modified the layout, next will be the city ruins that are results of being besieged. The city will be on fire while the game is being played. The waterfall was modified because of the lower wall section.





Final Layout. Unit placement next, I had to order some more troops.




Next is the placement of troops on the table. I am currently waiting on some new troops in the mail. I bought them painted, good paint jobs for once instead of painting more myself. But I like to buy other people great paint jobs on minis. Its more expensive, but fun also to buy others peoples work. I will have a total of 400 foot, 100 archers, 42 cavalry for the Gondolians and about 300 Orcs, 5 Wolves, 3 Dragons, and 2 Balrogs. The reason there are so many elves, is to represent the 11 or 12 Elf Households of Gondolin, plus its a huge fortress, about 12 feet long and 3 feet wide. 

I am currently fixing to paint up a unit of 36 wolf riders for the game, as well as for future games in middle earth. I bought some wolf riders from Thunderbolt Mountain miniatures, Tom Meier is the owner, if your familiar with Ral Partha, then you would have heard of Tom Meier. One of the great sculptors. His work is amazing...and my insisted I buy his wolf riders...so I am back to the paint table soon. But I will start the battle before hand, just waiting on some new elves to arrive. 







Update

Still working on the table, painting up wolf riders for the game...and I maybe either buying more or expanding my orc infantry....have not decided.  


Updated II

Well, I ordered some more orcs to paint up for this game. I got all my Elf armies in, just need to set them up in the fortress. Finishing up some wolf riders. I will start the game and paint at the same time (maybe) but I got some more painting to do. Every time I play a game I buy more minis. 

 
Update III

I finally placed the elves on the field and in the walls. I had the Vally Guard showing up on the field so that I could have some kinda of field battle as well as a siege. I am adding about 300 Orcs to the field and fixing to start painting them up. So I probably will wait to start the game. I am basically doubling the size of the Orc army. So the field will be entirely covered with Orcs soon. 
I bought another round of minis from Scotia Grendel and Black Tree Design. 




Here are the latest updates.


The Gondolian Valley Guard showing up on the field completely overwhelmingly out numbered. And A dragon in front of them as the enter.














Finally after a few months started playing the game.

I some how deleted the pics of the battle here, but he Valley Guard defeated the Orcs rear guard and are now moving towards the walls to attempt to help free the Elf Host that is behind the walls to get them on the field of battle.






The Valley guard attacking the orcs from behind and pinning them against the walls.


The Valley Guard march on the bridge to cut off reinforcements as well as attack the other orc host.



A house of Elf lords prepare for an attack outside of the walls.





The Orcs are beginning to pour over the walls



The Battle for the bridge is about to begin.







All miniatures are Games Workshop, Scotia Grendel (aka Black Tree Design and old Harlequin Miniatures)














3 comments:

Joseph Uzel said...

WOW. I know this is a very old post, but I only now stumbled across it during a web search.

I've been a Tolkien fan for more decades than I care to count, and have always loved the Silmarillion in particular, being fascinated with the epic and tragic history of the Elves.

I've never heard of anyone trying to represent any First Age battle on the table-top, let alone the Siege of Gondolin. Amazing, and beautifully done.

Sithlord2 said...

Thank you I plan on doing many more.

Jerome Samson said...

My name is Karina, I'm someone who has lived a life seemingly in the background, I must say this final indignity I have suffered almost too much to endure. You see, I have been sickly and weak since the day I was born and doomed to go through my life weakling. I seemed to have always suffered from one illness or another and could never play with the other children as I so desperately wanted to. Mother always made such a big fuss over me, also, making the situation worse as the other boys teased me mercilessly after they saw it. I was browsing the internet searching on how I could be transformed into a powerful person when I came across the email of a man named Lord Mark. who was a VAMPIRE so I told him that I has always dreamed about of becoming a VAMPIRES, All i did was just to follow the procedure that i was been told, and I bet you that procedure I took change my entire life to something i ever desire, freedom, sickness free, pains free, fame, influence, connections and even more that i can. Thanks to Lord Mark. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity? contact the vampires creed today via email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com